Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are full of flavorful chili beans and topped with a cashew cream sauce. It’s a hearty vegan dinner recipe that anyone will love! It’s also grain-free, gluten-free, sugar free and dairy-free.
I’m not vegan. Not even close! But I do enjoy eating vegan food. I try to stay away from soy and other processed ingredients, but a meal made from all natural, fresh ingredients that just so happens to be vegan is totally my jam.
Creating vegan recipes is also fun for me because my sister is a vegan. I love feeding the people in my life, and creating recipes to fit their diets is a challenge I gladly accept.
Savory vegan recipes that I make on repeat are ARE EASY VEGAN BLACK BEAN BURGERS, VEGAN SOUTHWEST PASTA SALAD, TOSTADAS WITH REFRIED BLACK BEANS AND CORN, VEGGIE TACOS LOADED WITH GUACAMOLE, AND PINEAPPLE FRIED QUINOA.
Another fun fact about me is that chili is one of my favorite meals! It’s definitely my easy go to for when I’m not sure what to make for dinner. We always have beans, vegetables and chili spices around, and that’s really all you need!
CAN VEGANS EAT SWEET POTATOES?
Absolutely! Vegans can eat anything that does not come from an animal. A lot of vegans won’t even eat honey! But sweet potatoes are a high starch vegetable, and as such, they are 100% vegan.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN STUFFED SWEET POTATOES WITH CHILI BEANS +CASHEW CREAM SAUCE
Step 1 - Bake the sweet potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the sweet potatoes well but do not peel.
- Place each sweet potato on a large sheet of foil.
- Wrap the foil tightly around the sweet potato. You don’t want steam escaping, so I like to do a folding method.
- Place the foil wrapped sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, then flip over, and bake for another 30 minutes. (The time will depend on the size of your sweet potatoes. I had very large sweet potatoes, but for small ones, check for doneness after 30 minutes, and 45 minutes for medium sized sweet potatoes.)
You will know your baked sweet potatoes are done when you can easily insert a sharp knife all the way to the center. If you feel resistance, re-wrap and bake for another 10 minutes.
Step 2 - Make the chili beans
- In a hot pan with some cooking oil you will saute a diced onion until beginning to soften, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, stir and saute for another minute.
- Next add the beans, spices and tinned tomato with juices to the pan.
- Stir to combine and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Step 3 - Make the cashew cream sauce
This cashew cream sauce is so easy to make, and it gives the same effect of sour cream. It lends a creaminess and a mellow flavor to the spiced up chili beans and very rich sweet potatoes. Don’t skip it!
- To the container of a high speed blender add soaked cashew and water, lemon juice, spices, and nutritional yeast.
- Blend until completely smooth.
If you didn’t soak your cashews overnight, all you need to do is boil them for 15 minutes. This will quickly soften them for a smooth, creamy sauce!
Step 4 - Put it all together
- Start by slicing your baked sweet potato in half. I then like to break them open a bit so that there’s a cavern at the center where the chili beans can settle in. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top the baked sweet potato halves with the chili beans.
- Spoon the vegan cream sauce over the top of the chili beans.
- Sprinkle garnishes of cilantro and sliced scallions.
There are a few steps to making these Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, but they are all incredibly simple!
Every element can also be made ahead of time then re-heated and assembled when you’re ready to eat. Meal prep goodness!
WHAT DO YOU EAT SWEET POTATOES WITH?
Sweet potatoes are an incredibly versatile root vegetable. You can serve them so many ways, and their flavor pairs wonderfully with savory and sweet ingredients. Here are some ways I like to use the sweet potato:
- Slow Cooker Chili with Sweet Potatoes
- Quinoa Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Cauliflower
- Chicken Taco Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sesame Roasted Sweet Potatoes (goes amazingly with fish!)
- Shepherd’s Pie with a Sweet Potato Crust
- Sweet Potato Crust Broccoli Cheese Quiche
- Sweet Potato Muffins with Chinese Five Spice
- Sweet Potato and Kale Breakfast Stir Fry
TRY THESE OTHER RECIPES FOR DELICIOUS VEGAN STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
- Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joe Sweet Potatoes
- Black Bean Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Chickpea Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Moroccan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Smoky Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Harvest Paleo Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes